How to adopt
When adopting through Animal Justice League, we want to make the process as transparent and easy as possible. Here is what you can expect:
- The first step once you find an animal you’re interested in adopting is to fill out the adoption application. The application is available in 'Important Links' above, or you may download the form here to manually complete, and email back to email@example.com Please note, just because you submit an application, doesn't mean you are guaranteed the right to that animal. We may have other applications that we are also reviewing as well.
- Once we receive your application and have reviewed, if there are any outstanding questions, we will contact you to clarify. Based on what we know about the animal, if you seem to be the right fit, we will schedule a meet-and-greet with the animal, as well as a home check.
- If the meet-and-greet goes well and you still want to adopt, an adoption contract must be signed and an adoption fee paid.
- You are then free to take home your new best friend!
Things to consider
At Animal Justice League, our first priority is to find the perfect family and fit for every dog or cat. We are looking for people or families who are willing to love this animal through its entire life. That means ensuring it gets regular vaccinations and prevention, a safe place to thrive, proper shelter, food and water, as well as training should it be necessary.
All of our animals are rescued, so age and breed are an approximation. We do our best to determine based on our experience and the advice of our veterinarian. We do not make any guarantees that the age or breed are the actual age or breed.
When bringing an animal home, an acclimation period is to be expected and needed, whether rescued or not. Our foster parents do a tremendous job and make huge efforts to ensure these animals are ready to go into their forever home, but it can be scary for an animal to come into a new environment. This can sometimes take 2-3 weeks, and could require a little extra effort on your part. We can provide articles on any issue, as well as make a recommendation on trainers.
Adoption Fees and Costs
How much is the adoption fee?
The Animal Justice League adoption fee is $150 for puppies & dogs, or $75 kittens and cats.
This fee must be paid to Animal Justice League at the time of adoption. We accept cash, check, credit cards, or PayPal. If payment is submitted via PayPal or credit card, there is an additional $5 transaction fee.
What's included in the adoption fee?
Your fee includes: spay or neuter, at least 3 rounds of vaccines for puppies & kittens, or all necessary vaccines for adults, rabies certificate and a microchip.
If a dog is Heartworm Positive, Animal Justice League will cover all expenses related to heartworm treatment until a confirmed negative test.
The adoption fee also helps recover expenses incurred while in foster care such as medical, food, and transportation costs.
ADOPTING FROM A RESCUE can SAVE you money!
Animal Justice League covers the initial veterinary costs to prepare the pet for a new home. Average costs can include:
- Veterinary wellness visit and exam: $50-100
- Spaying or neutering: $150-300
- Distemper vaccination: $20-30×3
- Rabies vaccination: $15-25
- Heartworm test (for dogs): $15-35
- Feline Leukemia/FIV test (for cats): $30-50
- Heartworm treatment (for HW+ dogs): up to $1000!!!
- Microchip: $25
- Deworming: $15-40
TOTAL: $330-665 or more! (We are only charging a fraction of this!)
Free pets usually come with no medical care, so while you may initially save on an adoption fee, the medical costs will add up quickly. Pets acquired from other methods may not be spayed or neutered and may not have a full set of vaccinations, adding to the expense.