Choosing your next pet
Sharing your life with an animal has great benefits and can bring you great joy. If you are thinking about adding a pet to your family, it’s best to learn about the needs of different types of pets to find one that will best suit your lifestyle.
Questions to ask before picking a pet
Each type of pet is different in terms of care, feeding, behavior, cost, housing and demands on your time. If you know what you’re getting into, you’ll be more likely to have a happy animal, a good relationship with your pet, and an easier time dealing with any challenges that might arise.
Here are some questions to ask yourself as you consider what type of pet to get:
- What type of animal is the best fit for your home? Will you be able to live with pet hair, a litter box or the occasional wear-and-tear caused by pets?
- If you have children, how will having a pet affect them? Will everyone in your home welcome an animal?
- If you rent, do you have permission from the property owner?
- How much space do you have inside and outside your home? Will you need a fenced yard? If you get a cat, will you want an outdoor enclosure (a cattery) so your kitty can spend time safely outdoors?
- How much time do you have to spend with a pet?
- What is your activity level? Are you sedentary or physically active?
- Do you have the financial resources if your pet has a medical crisis and has high veterinary bills?
- Do you have someone who can be a secondary caregiver if you are away from home? If not, how will you provide care for your pet when you travel?
Are you ready to get a pet? If so, check out our adoptable animals!